[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Thu Oct 29 15:22:49 UTC 2015

The Lakota have an interesting ancient (pre-Europeanizing, at least)
custom or procedure relevant to this, actually rather Christian, except
that it wasn't in the name of Christ, but more like a social adaptation.
  I think that I remember Jeffry+ talking about at least one instance of
it in modern times.  I'll be talking in masculine terms, since that's
how I heard it, and males had different obligations and rights in the
(extended: tio-spa-ye) family than females.  If one man was responsible
for the death of another, whether something like directly killing him in
a fight, or just "accidental", the family of the dead person would
literally adopt him in place of the missing person, and he would then
have all the rights and _OBLIGATIONS_ that the dead man had had,
including "financial" (or hunting, or whatever) support to the whole
family.  I think the forgiveness aspect of that might be kind of hard to
do....

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net