[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 04:15:27 UTC 2015

Sibyl> If one man was responsible
> for the death of another, whether something like directly killing him in a
> fight, or just "accidental", the family of the dead person would literally
> adopt him in place of the missing person, and he would then have all the
> rights and _OBLIGATIONS_ that the dead man had had, including "financial"
> (or hunting, or whatever) support to the whole family.  I think the
> forgiveness aspect of that might be kind of hard to do....

Interesting. By the time several generations had passed and this 'ritual'
(?) was in full use, I would imagine that there was compassion on both sides
and this also may have served as a deterrent to intentional harm. Perhaps
Native Americans were less violent among themselves and possibly between
themselves than we will ever know... in so many subtle ways, the arrival of
the 'white man' / Western Europeans, changed this country from the first
footfall.
The lives of native peoples seem to share the common thread of being 'at
one' with nature and open to the changes and chances of nature (including
new people showing up).... conflict arises when newcomers arrive with no
regard to those who are already there. *Civilization* is what the Europeans
thought they were bringing to this new world. A honed sociological structure
of different time and place was what they brought. Their ability to dominate
with power made them 'right'... hmmm sounds like politics. : (
Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr