[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Thu Oct 29 23:17:01 UTC 2015

 I don't doubt, as Don has said, that the family has the right to bring suit for civil damages.  But "menial" duties and rubbing the criminal's face in his or her crimes is retributory justice, not restorative justice.  The object isn't to bring the offender back into right relationship with God and the community, but to destroy the offender.  Strictly eye-for-eye stuff.

I think Don has a better right to speak to this than I do.  In my active alcoholic days, I too drove drunk.  I'm coming up on six years of sobriety, and I never had an accident, but it gives me a sense of "there but for the grace of God..."

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain