[Magdalen] World Serious

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 07:24:33 UTC 2015

Chess has timers, and in some matches, there's a certain allocation of
time, and if and when you use up your time, you lose.

When someone has a combination figured out, this can be devastating. One
player makes his move and hits the clock; the other player thinks, moves
and hits the clock; first player instantly moves and hits the clock. The
other player has lost several seconds, and now he is losing time as he
again ponders the positions. Even if he is able to work his way out of the
trap set for him, he may have used so much time that he is forced to move
quickly just to stay alive, risking a simple mistake.  Timer chess can be
really cut-throat.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford