[Magdalen] Small-town politics bringing out the worst.

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 22:06:16 UTC 2015

When I saw the subject, I wondered if it was going to be about our local
elections!  My daughter is running for a seat on the county Board of
Supervisors, and I've never seen such nasty politicking as what is going on
here.  Not specifically toward her, but in most of the local races.  She's
been attacked in the past ten days or so, but some of the candidates have
had vicious lies spread; family members have received horrible threatening
letters, and the campaign manager for the man running against the incumbent
sheriff had his business shot into in the middle of the night.

The irony is that my daughter and several of the candidates for other
offices got together and agreed that they would not use those kinds of
tactics, that they would stick to the issues and not smear their opponents.

She will probably be elected, even though she is running against an
incumbent, but I'm very apprehensive about some of the other seats.  I
mean, we even have a convicted felon running for Clerk of the Court, and
nobody seems to mind very much! In fact, since there are four people
running for that office, he stands a good chance of being elected...

We'll all be very glad when Tuesday night comes and this is all over. At
least, I *hope* we'll be glad...

--
Grace Cangialosi
Ruckersville, VA

*We must cry out against injustice or by our silence consent to it.
Dorothy Day*