[Magdalen] Well, whadaya know! - New specs

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 16:31:27 UTC 2015

S/O has told me of his amazement when he first got his glasses sometime in
early grades. He has pretty bad astigmatism. I've heard the same story from
others, too.

My favorite story is one I witnessed in person. Many years ago, when I
worked in daycare, we got a new little boy named Jarrod,  an adorable
chunky little African-American guy with a husky voice. For the entire first
week he was with us, he just wandered around crying inconsolably. The next
week, his mother came and spent the day with us, helping out in the kitchen
and doing other chores around the center. He stayed close to her but didn't
cling. After that, he was all right and didn't cry all day when she left
him with us. A couple of weeks later he showed up wearing thick glasses,
held in place by an elastic strap. He was all smiles when he greeted us,
and for days he walked around in open-mouthed wonder. At that point, we all
realized that his problem the whole time had been that he couldn't tell
where he was, that we were all blurs, and not only that, we were blurs of
an unfamiliar color! Once his mom had spent time with us, he decided we
were blurs that were all right.