[Magdalen] Electoral Register (was Re: Kim Davis ordered to jail.)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 4 22:39:20 UTC 2015

On 04/09/2015 23:04, Susan Hutchinson wrote:
> Here in Canada the federal electoral register is maintained by a box
> on your federal tax return (which for all provinces except Quebec,
> includes your provincial tax return as well). You tick the box that
> you are entitled to vote and your name goes on the electoral register.
> It keeps it pretty up to date for most people as even those with very
> low incomes or on welfare get a basic $75 tax rebate as long as they
> file. Changes can be done online and at the returning office during a
> writ period.

That tax rebate will certainly be an incentive to those on low incomes
or welfare to file their return.  Sometimes the US approach to compiling
the voters' register amazes me in the way it introduces extra hurdles to
be overcome.  If somebody is a citizen then make it as easy as possible
for them to reguster since that is what democracy means.

Roger