[Magdalen] Wedding Advice

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 5 21:02:34 UTC 2015

On 05/09/2015 18:49, Jim Guthrie wrote:

> From: Roger Stokes
>
>> I see a clear distinction between the sacrament of marriage, which
>> gives legal
>> and sacramental effect to the relationship, and blessing of a lifelong
>> covenant, which already exists in your case. Personally I would
>
> Not in the United States, Roger. The County or Town or Village Clerk
> issues a
> Marriage License, and the  officiant signs off on it (usually with two
> witnesses and then signatures of the couple) -- whether religious or
> civil -- at the time of the ceremony.

Jim, in this case we are talking about a marriage which is already in
effect legally and the couple are seeking the Church's blessing on their
relationship.  That is why I included "which already exists in your
case".  We are talking about a rite that will have no legal significance
as the marriage already exists and so is seeking the blessing of a civil
marriage.

Roger