[Magdalen] Worship leader

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 02:42:29 UTC 2015

​

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Doesn't the bishop have the final say when a rector is called?

And what is he going to do?  Say no to the person the parish has selected?
He certainly can, but at what cost?  Is this a ditch worth dying in? This
is why little minds say, "Oh, we can't do that. There's a rule against it,"
and folks with vision see why the rule is there and can discern whether it
ought to be set aside in this instance. Managers like bishops hate folks
with great minds, because they always stretch the little rules and
sometimes the big ones.  Then the manager has to earn his pay.

While a bishop can do pretty much whatever he wants, he then has to deal
with the consequences ("You broke it; you bought it.").  Obviously the
bishop chose not to second-guess the powers that be of the parish.  Mind
you, I was not in New York at that time, and I do not have clairvoyance, so
I can only guess at the content of the conscience of the, er, bishop.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford
​