[Magdalen] pencils

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:54:37 UTC 2015

I live in pencil. Usually mechanical (0.7 mm HB), but if I run across a
stray Dixon Ticonderoga or Black Warrior #2, I can't help myself.

In the brief foray R&H made to "real" school -- we call it a homeschool
field trip, as it lasted six weeks -- their supplies list included a
*gross* of pencils. I asked their teachers, "If I'm helping supply
children who can't bring these in, that's fine, but there is no reason
to expect one third or fourth grader to go through a gross of pencils.
What's the deal?" They break, they get lost, etc., etc. (What's the
matter with a broken pencil? Now you have two!)

Back in my day <grin>, my mother, a teacher, handed out two pencils to
me at the start of school. They were expected to last through Christmas,
at least. She worked all manner of crossword puzzles, but wasn't brazen
enough to use pen. I have a little pile of two-inch-long pencils
gathered from around the house after she died, and her hand-crank
sharpener still hangs beneath a kitchen cabinet.

Peace,
Jo