[Magdalen] pencils

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 20:47:08 UTC 2015

At the end of the summer our school district puts out long lists of the supplies student are expected to provide. These vary by grade level, of course--young children are supposed to provide five boxes of facial tissues, for example--but they definitely work a hardship on low-income families. So many of the churches here hold back-to-school drives for supplies and also for backpacks to put them in.
Even with that, most teachers spend a lot of their own money for things the schools don't provide. One figure I saw was an average of $1000/teacher/year. And teachers aren't exactly bringing in the big bucks themselves...