[Magdalen] pencils

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 01:32:19 UTC 2015

I have tons of pencils, as does my beloved spouse.

They are essential for sudoku and jumble and crossword puzzles.

I also use them when I am writing from scratch or am correcting an
orchestration. Pencils make far superior notation!  And while I usually
know exactly what i want to write, there are times when I change my mind,
and once in a while, I'm like, "Gee, that's a much better way to do that!"
-- and a whole bar or two is wiped away.
If an entire passage is just not working out, I'll just stroke it out and
start over, but it's nice to be working with pencil and have a nicer, more
legible notation and an easy remedy when one wants to change just a few
notes.

There must be a lot of folks who keep using pencils, because I see TONS of
'em when I go into a store to shop for reinforcements.  Soft lead.  Hard
lead. Mechanical. Disposable mechanical (great for sudoku in newsprint
where they make the squares tiny because all news people are just mean, ya
know. [they're actually alright.]

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford