[Magdalen] humorous aside

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 04:21:53 UTC 2015

A situation is so frequent in polite society that Miss Manners has
addressed several columns to it.

It concerns how to say no.  People wish to say no to some request, but they
fear the response of anger or hurt feelings.

Miss Manners' solution is simple but brilliant.

When asked to do something, say, with the utmost sincerity, "It was
wonderful and thoughtful of you to ask, and I would absolutely love to do
it, but it's just impossible." It is essential to do this with a genuine
friendly smile.

As the conversation proceeds, the person seeking a favor may dig for some
reason for the response.  No matter what, do not explain; just keep
responding with the same sentiment. "It so so nice of you to think of me,
and I really am flattered, but unfortunately it's just impossible."

Repeat as needed.  Never ever explain.  Simpy repeat as often as needed,
that "it's simply impossible."

My wife and I often will give that line to each other when either of us is
being manipulated by some -- especially if it's a real pro.

But never, ever, EVER give even a shadow of an explanation.  You owe NO ONE
any explanation other than to say, with a very friendly face, "It was so
very nice of you to ask, and I'm so flattered that you would think of me,
but it is just impossible."

You will not have to do this very often. It seems that vulnerable folks who
cannot say no have an invisible sign on their back, perhaps something like
"Sucker" or "Please use me as you will." After you do this a couple of
times, word gets around, and people will stop trying to manipulate you.

There is being a servant to all others, and then there's being used.  The
first one is far better than the second.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford