[Magdalen] Professional panhandlers; was Loaned out.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 04:41:12 UTC 2015

I wonder if anyone has done any really good research on what these folks
are like, but I suspect each is a bit different.

Is the person going to use the money for approved things or not approved
things?  Are they sharing their take with someone else who can't be on the
street?  Are they in a downward spiral of drugs and alcohol, their death an
inevitable end?  Nobody can really answer these questions.
And we all must find our own ways of dealing with these questions. I think
we ask them even if we are not consciously thinking about them.

So many people are just a few paychecks away from being homeless.  It has
to be dreadful not to have a place of your own. And in the winter, we have
back to back days when it is sub-zero freezing, which is when some of these
ladies and gentlemen die of exposure.

I was walking back toward Grand Central Terminal after a late night at
NYTS, and was noticing a man in one of those long, thick businessman's
coats walking a bit in front of me.  Suddenly he just stopped and turned.
A man was hiding from the weather under some cardboard boxes up against a
building.  He pulled out his wallet and gave the guy something. I could
hear him say, "Here, guy.  Find yourself somewhere warm to sleep tonight."

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/lilytomlin386397.html

http://andrew-ong.com/2008/02/06/the-starfish-story-you-can-make-a-difference/

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford