[Magdalen] Professional panhandlers; was Loaned out.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 10 03:35:38 UTC 2015

What is the general opinion here of "professional panhandlers"?  There's a fellow frequently at my Nob Hill (Raley's), and he's rather popular with many, no doubt because of his clear and obvious use of one or more loveable pit bulls he has with him.  I'm good for a fiver whenever I can either manage it, or remember (sometimes he shows up while I'm in the store and don't know ahead of time to get cash back).  He's a nice guy, clearly uses his money (on the occasions I note personally) for dinner from either Nob Hill or the hot dog joint nearby.  And there's times he sees me arrive and actually comes up to me to ask if "I can help him today".  He doesn't do that often, but it does happen, and it seems real.  One time I came out with a $20, which shocked him.  Hey, thinks I; it ain't often this guy actually seeks me out for help.  But he's sort of a regular.  Meaning he's not there all the time, or at least not as often as in previous years.

To get back to the question:  professional panhandlers.  Opinions?