[Magdalen] Endless war...

Arthur Laurent ALaurent at npr.org
Sat Sep 12 20:01:16 UTC 2015

I was fresh out of USMC officer training at Quantico when I got my first orders. Exciting!

Sooner than I'd have thought, it was almost 1971, and I'd spent the better part of the year in Monterey, CA learning (badly) Vietnamese and Mandarin Chinese. I was sure I was going to Vietnam to die. I'd dreamt about it, and I was very calm about it.

Instead, I was assigned to a U.S. Airbase in Taiwan.  (My closest direct superior was in Okinawa. I never even saw him.)

So close...

God has always watched over, and helped, clueless fools like me.