[Magdalen] Hit and Run Devotion?

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 02:08:39 UTC 2015

Jim O> Andrew  Greeley did studies showing that RCC members tend to remain
RCC no
> matter  what.  They may stop going to church altogether, but they do not
> stop  being RCC. It's as if there's some kind of inoculation they get as a
> kid  which makes it hard for them to "convert" to any other
> denomination.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, from the age of 6 when they started talking about sin (in my
generation - educated in '50s-'60s) it was a sin to go into another church
and we were told that NO MATTER WHAT we would always be Catholic (i.e.
always subject to judgment and hell).

I know many contemporaries of mine, some people I've known all my life and
others who  I've just met, all of whom are not only 'lapsed' RCs but have
never stepped foot in any church since leaving the church in their 20s.
Others, like myself have found a spiritual home and do not look back.  I
think the 'hard to convert' part is based on the inoculation of church
teaching through the first 3/4 of the 20C.  Have also met a number of
'former' catholic monks and priests, some who married, some of whom became
ordained in the Episcopal church. To a person, of those I've know in that
persuasion, none of them consider themselves RC although all of them are
members of a mainline denomination.
Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck