[Magdalen] immigration / migrant situation --->Re: Professionalpanhandlers; was Loaned out.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Sep 14 12:51:31 UTC 2015

>So many of the stories we hear in the US  about how balanced some of the W
>European and Scandinavian countries are with employment, social structure are
>wonderful, but they are also much smaller countries than the US with perhaps
>more government control of many aspects of society in regard to wager, medical
>costs, pensions, etc.

Small doesn’t mean much. What is important is the social and economic benefits
derived from a far more concentrated population. Dense population lowers things
like infrastructure costs (which allows better infrastructure) for example. That
leaves far more money for the social programs we all admire.

But that better and more concentrated infrastructure also makes it easier to
take in migrations as we're seeing, because the costs of taking them in are
intrinsically lower than they would be in the U.S.

And the U.S. (and our citizens) pay a steep price for the inability to recognize
that most Americans live in cities (and true since the 1920s) and the general
failure to support urban infrastructure. It should be noted also that cities
that  have taken it upon themselves to improve infrastructure tend to grow and
get richer nowadays, while those that have not grow poorer.

Even helping the poor costs less and offers more benefits with highly
concentrated populations, such as found in Europe. In rural America, it costs
far more to feed the poor than it does in the cities because the costs of
running a true feeding program (like, say Holy Apostles in NYC feeding 1300
people a day in a cafeteria-like setting) is far more efficient than the out of
pocket transportation costs of trying to feed people living in widely scattered
places.

And being able to walk to a doctor or clinic is far cheaper than, say, requiring
people to own a car (or supplying individual transportation), or more commonly,
letting people suffer and die for lack of transportation in rural areas.

The American mythology regarding rural living costs lives, and belies our good
and charitable  intentions

Cheers,
Jim