[Magdalen] Hit and Run Devotion?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:27:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:20 AM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford
<oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never met anyone who does, but there apparently is a real tradition
> of praying the rosary in TEC

The Rosary is prayed in common in our church on the first Sunday of
every month after the postlude of Solemn Mass. Attendance at this
seems less than when it was on Saturday mornings at 9:30. Personally
I'd rather participate in it as a prelude to something else (Saturday
10 a.m. Mass With Anointing for Healing) than as something additional
to embark upon after a major liturgy.

We have at least one parishioner I've seen who prays the Rosary during
Mass. I just see it as devotional multi-tasking akin to the Orthodox'
Jesus Prayer, which becomes habitual ("prayer of the heart" or "breath
prayer") and continues during other activities. Although with the
Rosary you're really supposed to be focusing on the Mysteries, I think
it could be prayed more as an ongoing undercurrent like the Jesus
Prayer, if one wanted to.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA