[Magdalen] NYTimes: Vinyl frenzy.

Arthur Laurent ALaurent at npr.org
Sat Sep 19 04:32:04 UTC 2015

<... I imagine you're talking about the machine that uses a laser beam.  Costs tens of thousands of dollars.  One reviewer years ago said it's so "perfect" it's like listening to your favorite records while eating potato chips...

I can't imagine it costs thousands of dollars since my new Blu-ray player (which uses a low-powered laser that does little more than heat the disc) cost $78, delivered.

Though I suppose if you say enough buzzwords, and point to non-existent advantages, you could convince some gullible soul that it's market cost is worth far more that its actual cost.

The NYT, as usual, is a few decades late in reporting tech. Thorens made a tangent-tracking LP turntable, with laser instead of stylus and cartridge option, back in the mid-1980s. By then, I'd already migrated to CD. (But, if course, I still have my AR turntable, "just in case." Though I'd be hard pressed to find a preamp that properly de-emphasize an RIAA curve. I suppose it would be easier to build one than to find one.)

Arthur