[Magdalen] health insurance

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Sep 19 20:11:23 UTC 2015

From: Lynn Ronkainen

>I agree!  However if the Medicare services became the blueprint for national
>health care, I'm guessing it would  start providing less... just sayin'.

Why? Removing the 18% average ROI for medical insurance companies, one would
intuitively think just the opposite.

I realize the bi-ennial Congressional Brouhaha over Medicare reimbursements
often makes it seem so, and of course there are non-too-bright seniors who
complain about their Medicare Advantage plans not covering
doctors/hospitals/etc. outside their plans, and yet others complain because
they don’t have a Supp or chose the wrong one for their situation. But these are
all doppelgangers in the debate, usually put forth by the dishonest.

I also realize that costs are skyrocketing in some of the states that have not
chosen to implement Obamacare on the local level, and that's a choice voters in
those states have made. Why should they pay a fraction more in taxes than to pay
huge increases to enrich the insurance industry.

But there's no good economic reason that Medicare for all should cost more, and
would end up costing less if it included a good wellness plan.

I realize some people would still choose to live in places where it costs $$$ to
get to a doctor, but that's often a matter of choice. The problem is it also
ends up costing Medicare/Medicaid or hospital reimbursement funds far more to
cover these people as well.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie