[Magdalen] Who vs. Whom as first word in sentence (was Re: Joe's potential entry.)

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 20 23:24:41 UTC 2015

David, you and Lois and Louise Joachim (MY high school English/Latin teacher) are gazing wistfully at a train that has already left the station.  (1) The grammar that we were taught by Mmes Lois and Louise was Latin grammar translated into English, not a grammar based on a description of English as spoken and written.  (2) In modern colloquial English, sentence position trumps preposition:object relations.  (3)  Sorry to be the reverse pedant (well, no, actually I kinda enjoy it or I wouldn't do it)!
Don in Austin
Former (1960-1975) professional grammarian