[Magdalen] Interesting Funeral

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 19:01:27 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/21/2015 12:40:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
romanos at mindspring.com writes:

<<<I have learned a lot about the different stripes of  Lutherans over the
last 20 years. I now realize that the Rev Sigurd Andresen  who was the
interim pastor at a church I played about 15 years ago was very  high for his
brand of Norwegian.
I thought he was somewhat low but he was  actually middle of the road ELCA.
The Lutheran Church down town does use  incense on occasion. I saw the TV
versionof its Easter Vigil some years  back.>>>>>>>>

As a child, family gatherings were often in Superior, Wisconsin  (opposite
Duluth, MN), and we all went off to the family Concordia Lutheran  Church
(known by all as "The Concordia") a mammoth gothic revival church
finished in 1929.  There was a real pipe organ, real stained glass,  and
a minister who had been in the famed Saint Olaf Choir and sang his
way through the Liturgy.  Coming from a small town Methodist  church
with none of these assets, I was in heaven at the Concordia.

http://www.concordiasuperior.org/story

<<<< the Lutherans next door were  beginning their procession with the
Paschal Candle around their church--very  similar to our outdoor Paschal Candle
Procession at St. John Vianney, my  former parish.
I believe the Lutherans and ourselves both sang We Are  Walking,
Walking,Walking, in the LIght of  Christ. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There was a Baptist church across the street from my family home in
NW Wisconsin.  In warmer weather, they opened the windows and  the
hymns were quite audible across the street.  They had a favorite  hymn,
"Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown?"  The neighborhood  children
would scream back at the top of their lungs, "No, not one!  No not  one!

David Strang.