[Magdalen] Monterey fire?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Sep 22 15:31:02 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/22/2015 10:15:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jhandsfield at att.net writes:

I had a  student many years ago who did not have the best command of
English (she was  Hispanic).  When studying trees of a particular region, she
mentioned  Pinus ponderosa.  Unfortunately, she pronounced the ‘i’ in Pinus as
she  would in Spanish, resulting in what sounded like Penis ponderosa.
Happily, everyone in the class seemed to understand and no one
laughed.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I ordinarily pronounce Latin in the Italianate manor with the single
exception of the genus Pinus for the obvious reason.

I have the Mirov tome,  "The Genus Pinus," which my ex-wife
quickly dubbed (you guessed it) "The Genius P___s."

There was a USA National Pinetum (arboretum of pines) at
Placerville, CA, but from what I can find, it no longer has
federal support.  There appears to be the pine collection, but
who's taking care of it is unknown to me.  I wonder how safe
the area is from the current CA forest fires.

David Strang.