[Magdalen] Monterey fire?

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 23:49:37 UTC 2015

We lived down the road from this stand of trees--the "Butterfly Trees"--when I was in grade school. They were on the property of Milar's Motel. They were just there, no big deal. The butterflies would come every year in October, and the town would hold a parade to welcome them back. All the schools participated with floats and costumes and at least one band. (I was a rose one year!)
Once the butterflies had arrived, of course, they just hung on the trees through the winter, looking mostly like dried leaves. I didn't know then how special this was.
A few years ago I bought a small book about monarchs in a museum gift shop. It was written for children, and at the end there was a photograph of the Pacific Grove Butterfly Parade!