[Magdalen] Monterey fire?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 23 18:35:12 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/23/2015 1:28:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
charles.wohlers at verizon.net writes:

Well, we  have plenty of American beech.>>>>>>>

And, here in Pennsylvania.  We live in a Pocono development  called
"Beech Mountain Lakes" because of the prominence of American Beech.
The American Beech has few, if any cultivars, and the species has not
been popular for landscaping.  For one thing, attempting to dig  an
American Beech in the wild may be daunting because they mostly
reproduce via root suckers.  I was successful in transplanting a  beech
from Eastern Wisconsin where the species is native, to my Western
Wisconsin location, but there were several failures before I had one  that
survived and prospered.

European Beech, OTOH, is easy to transplant, not very susceptible  to
disease, and comes in a number of remarkable cultivars.  There  are
several weeping copper European Beeches in this neighborhood that
are show-stoppers, for example.

There are crab apples which have reddish foliage, but of  course they are
smaller trees.

Since we have woods all around us,  we don't really need ornamental trees.
One thing we do have in abundance  is large balsam firs - think several
dozen
White House Christmas trees  surrounding your house.   >>>>>>>>>

The Balsam Firs that I dug up as tiny seedlings from my brother's  yard
in Wisconsin are doing very well here.  The largest in the front yard  has
grown a remarkable 4' this year, and is giving the front yard Dawn  Redwood
a run for the money.

David Strang.