[Magdalen] Dorothy Day

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:06:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 7:56 AM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have heard from two friends in the last few hours who never heard
> of Dorothy Day before yesterday. What are we teaching these kids?

Some online RC acquaintances pooh-poohed the Pope's mention of the
four great Americans including King, Lincoln, Merton, and Day. No
complaints about King or Lincoln, but about Merton and Day they said,
"We can't seem to get out of 1973." And then they listed the
imperfections in what Merton and Day did and wrote. I made a comment
about how apparently issues and ideals are now like shoe styles and
asked why we can't still learn from Merton and Day.

And separately with the same folks, I wondered how Benedict XVI was
always "the Holy Father," never contradicted nor complained about, and
this Pope is simply "this Pope," disliked by some of the same folks
whose eyelids formerly fluttered as they mentioned "the Holy Father"
Benedict. For RCs, I believe popes are not available for liking and
disliking: they simply are, and must be listened to and heeded. At
least in theory.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA