[Magdalen] Just a thought

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 25 23:09:50 UTC 2015

On 25/09/2015 21:23, Bob Rea wrote:
> A moral gap between individual and collective/corporate?
>   What would your momma say if you offered peanut butter
> with salmonella to your siblings and they died?
> And what would she say if you cheated on tests like
> Volkswagen did?
> There are obvious outs for the collective; war is ethically
> defensible for most people.
> Why do we not have the same moral ideas for
> corporate/collective conduct as we do for our individual
> conduct?

The main issue for me with the VW deception is that it seems to have
involved a number of people, technical sophistication and a deliberate
intent to obfuscate.  I now have to be careful in what I say as I
understand that the US Justice Department is considering criminal
proceedings and other jurisdictions are considering their own
investigations.  Naturally I would not wish to prejudice those proceedings.

My legal knowledge is at a relatively low (pre-college) level but for
most offences there is the need to prove both the /actus reus/ (criminal
act) and the /mans rea/ (criminal mind).  Some offences are defined as
absolute offences where there is no need to prove criminal intention but
they are the minority.  Generally the criminal inyemnt has to be
established.

Using the example you cite, assuming you had no means of knowing that
the peanut butter was infected then it would be virtually impossible to
prove the criminal intent to infect your sublings. The case should not
even get to court.

 From what I have read of the VW case there was a deliberate intent to
deceive and circumvent the regulations.  No matter which individual
employees were involved I would expect the company to have vicarious
liability for their actions and so be held accountable.

Another aspect of this was brought to my attention this evening, what
might be called collateral damage affecting innocent individuals.  I was
with somebody who has a car with one of the implicated engines.  In the
UK cars over three years old have to be tested annually for certain
things, including emissions.  If they fail the test then basically they
cannot be used until the defect is rectified.  Removing the misleading
software will give a true reading, which could result in his car failing
the test.  How is he to be compensated for this?

Roger