[Magdalen] hissing at Haman

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 18:26:31 UTC 2015

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 1:13 PM, ME Michaud <michaudme at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I always forget that not everybody knows the story.
> Love Queen Esther.

There's a movie called The Book of Esther, on Netflix, and we've
watched it a couple of times. I must confess we've entertained
ourselves by dissing the production values, which are rather low:
makeup by Macy's, jewelry by Kohl's, American accents, and scenes
established by broad shots of Jerusalem complete with crosses atop
churches (!).

I must also confess that the man who plays King Xerxes is
approximately gorgeous.

The film does start with a disclaimer that it takes some liberties
with the story and encourages viewers to open the Book of Esther and
read it for themselves.

The guard who sort of randomly shouts, "All hail King Xerxes" always
makes me think he's kicking off a Mel Brooks irreverent production
number.

Well work finding and watching on Netflix (and yes, it's possible to
watch it for the story and not riff it a la Mystery Science Theater
3000, but that's so much fun.)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA