[Magdalen] WTPho?

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 16:30:22 UTC 2016

I've been learning how to make Pho. Have used the oven, a crock pot, and
(while in Florida) got good results with a pressure cooker. I was fortunate
enough to track down a halal butcher who stocked beef bones for the broth
base because, while bones are easy to get here, Florida is all about
prepared frozen foods.

Read someplace that pho is the Vietnamese spelling of the French feu (as in
Pot au feu), which was helpful info to me. It certainly makes sense. The
French influence on Vietnamese cooking is undeniable.

Anyway, I make up the broth, strain & freeze it in sixteen-ounce Ball jars.
Easy enough to reheat it, add a few salad bar vegetables and some noodles,
and slurp it down. Very healthy, fairly low fat, and requires little salt
because of the sugar, vinegar and chiles.
-M

On Thursday, April 7, 2016, Marilyn Cepeda <mcepeda514 at gmail.com