[Magdalen] WTPho?

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 8 23:51:37 UTC 2016

>>>I didn't think the pho had much taste and dumped a small bowl of leaves at the table into it which helped a little. I didn't notice any spices at the table but they might have been there.<<<

Pho is pretty much what you do to it.  It can be made with flavor, and I've had it that way elsewhere from my now usual.  But by and large, it's the leaves (as you say, which are generally cilantro and mint), the bean sprouts (often brought with the leaves), and the myriad (in your case unfortunately missing, it seems) sauces.  I'm a sucker for a cocktail of fish sauce, hoisin sauce, and chili sauce.  And oh yeah:  tons of lemon juice, freshly squeezed from wedges.

If I hadn't talked Everett into our favorite Mexican joint tonight, we'd be pho'ing it again.  Maybe tomorrow.

(As for meat, I'm settling with flank steak, which they slice very nicely.  I tried the fried tofu appetizer last night -- never again.)