[Magdalen] WTPho?

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 00:20:54 UTC 2016

Leaves *should* include Thai basil and cilantro. Also there should be lime
wedges, bean sprouts, and assorted sauces on the table, most especially
fish sauce, hoisin and sriracha. Vietopia has 6 or 7 others of varying
strengths and heats. Properly made pho broth contains ginger, star anise,
garlic and some other spices, and simmers for a long time in a humongous
pot. Improperly made pho broth is, well, boring beef broth. Some people put
sugar in their pho. I don't. When it's done properly, the meat is sliced
very thin and the boiling broth is poured over it to cook it.

Slurping is not only allowed, it's encouraged. So is burping. I will spare
you a description of what Vietopia sounds like when it's crowded.