[Magdalen] WTPho?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Apr 9 12:33:51 UTC 2016

In a message dated 4/9/2016 7:18:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
marionwhitevale at gmail.com writes:

.   A lifetime
needs to keep pushing its horizons  outward.>>>>>>

A lot of people do not realize the revolution in cuisine that has
occurred in the USA since the end of WW-2.  Food has become
so cosmopolitan since then that it is bewildering.

I'm sure the big cities, especially the immigrant coastal cities,  have
always been aware and open to new cuisines, but for much of the
USA the commonality of ethic restaurants and the availability of
the greater variety of foods in groceries for new recipes is a
recent phenomenon.  The increased hot seasoning of foods has
been especially remarkable, too.

Even such commonplace foods as pizza and Mexican cuisine have
swept the country in these years.  I had my first taste of pizza  when
I went away to college in 1955, and of Mexican food when I entered
the Army in 1966 (Casa del Rio, San Antonio).

It's amusing to think back to about 1960 when the first "French"
restaurant opened in Minneapolis.  It's specialities:  Beef  Bourguignon
and Coq au Vin (!).

David Strang.