[Magdalen] Kicking and Screaming.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:38:23 UTC 2016

I admit I'm weird, as I'm compulsive about getting all available
updates as soon as they're released, unless I hear about some problem
with one of them. Our benevolent IT department at work controls our
Windows updates, so we don't get Microsoft's updates until IT releases
them to us, but I do keep up to date with those. On my iPad and
Android smartphone, one of my first tasks every morning is to check
for operating system and app updates. I generally regard updates as
improvements and want to have all of them for peak performance and for
protection against attacks (viruses). My iPad will eventually fall off
the list of Apple-supported models, meaning I won't get further
operating system updates, perhaps with iOS 10 or X or whatever it will
be called. By then I hope to be able to get a new iPad anyway.

I remember being appalled at the release-and-patch process of
releasing software, especially when I worked on some software
documentation for General Motors (Dealerline software). I wondered
what other industry would get away with releasing products it knows
has lots of potential defects (but doesn't know what they are yet, or
not precisely) and just plans on fixing them as they go. Imagine a
car's axles breaking shortly after the car is purchased, and the
manufacturer's response is, "We'll be fixing that in version 3.2.2."

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA