[Magdalen] What is as Rare....

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Mon Apr 18 03:18:12 UTC 2016

Last year was a hard winter (2014-15) in many areas of the East, south of
here. Boston, for example had at least as much snow as we did. This isn't
good for wildlife, especially birds like cardinals which don't migrate much.
So the populations crash - but they should come back.

Up here, where the winter of 2014-15 wasn't all that unusual, we haven't
seen any particular absence of any bird species (other than our resident
woodcock, who we missed last year). Robins have been here for a couple of
weeks now, you can hear Canada geese circling over our pond, and the first
phoebe showed up today, right on schedule. Our feeder has attracted lots of
pine siskins and goldfinches, neither of which we've seen here before.

So I suspect this is just temporary, and things should return to normal
within a year or two.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com