[Magdalen] help emailing a word document

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 20:25:30 UTC 2016

This happens from time to time.

Two things:

There is a fix for this. But the fix is generally a time-buster.

The simplest thing is to take your lovely Word document and paste the text
into your email as plain text. I feel your pain!  I just did a carefully
constructed document on the merits of two composers and two works they had
produced, and then I realized that putting this through  email often
results in something the other person can't open, or if they can, it may
open seamlessly, or it may require a lot of work (so the people look at it
for a second and then go on to the next item in their mailbox and they
never see my work.  So I just plopped the whole thing down as plain text.
They all got the text even if they did not get the wonderful construction
which made it a really neat document in my biased opinion.  but at least
they got the text.

I am not sure why the thing did what it did, since in my experience MS Word
generally comes through, and it does not matter.  Explaining in detail why
it didn't work won't really help you, sorry to say, because you have little
time for this, and recipients won't do anything to open something obtuse.

One thing you could do, which would probably work, and also prevent illicit
editing, is to take a screen shot of your document, save the result as a
JPG, and add that to your email as an attachment. I think any system will
be able to open a JPG, and they will have your text just as you produced
it.  I assume it is not more than one page.

You could of course produce an Adobe document, but this will not be the
same in appearance as your original, and not everyone can open a PDF (yes,
they might be luddites in the opinion of some, but they are still children
of God, n'es pas?)

You could, of course, print out a master copy of the pamphlet and then make
a few hundred copies at Staples or whoever, and then everyone has a nice
little take-away from the ceremony. I know I like that, as I come upon it
from time to time, and it brings me back...

I hope something in this is of some help to you!  And, I do feel your pain.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford