[Magdalen] WI-13 & MI-28

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 12:56:10 UTC 2016

In a message dated 4/27/2016 6:01:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com writes:

<<<Earlier, though, my interest was piqued as I went  through Port Wing by
a notice about their Testicle Festival.  They  obviously aren't mountain
oysters so are they Superior Oysters? :-)  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I don't know about this "Testicle Festival" and I've never heard of
Superior
oysters.  My mother taught math in the Port Wing High School for some
years.
The town was also frequented by my Uncle Adolph for getting fresh  Lake
Superior Trout and Whitefish.

<<<<MI-28 has a railroad close to it for much  of its route but elsewhere I
noticed what looked like an old track-bed  paralleling the road for some
distance.  Was there an old railroad up  there, possibly serving the iron
mines but now a trail for other  users?

All the regional railroads and some small carriers were heavily  involved
in the iron mining activities in the UP.  There were several iron  ranges in
the area and the ore was shipped by railroad to such as Ashland   and
Escanaba over on the Lake Michigan side.  This includes the Soo  Line,
the Milwaukee Road, the Great Northern, and the Northern Pacific.   There
is very little of any of this system remaining, and, indeed, some of  the
right of way has been turned into trails.

David Strang.