[Magdalen] WI-13 & MI-28

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 13:10:01 UTC 2016

In a message dated 4/28/2016 2:01:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
romanos at mindspring.com writes:

A  favorite for Chicagoans and others is the Elroy Sparta trail with a
chance to  lunch at a German cafe in New Glarus which is a Little Switzerland in
scenery  and culture. That is closer (to  us in Chicago)--an easy day trip
for a  bike ride and a  meal.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In the area around New Glarus it would be wise to stick with trails
that are abandoned railroad right of way.  Otherwise, bicycling in  this
very
hilly section of Wisconsin would be a nightmare.

My Cousin Cliff Pedersen was the Lutheran pastor for the New Glarus
area for years when I was a student at nearby UW-Madison, and I spent
many a weekend there.  The most memorable phenomenon in New  Glarus
to me was the Swiss Lace Factory which was just a couple of blocks  from
Cliff's home.  The machines that made the lace and did the  elaborate
embroidery were a wonder to behold.  Sadly, when the last owner put  the
factory up for sale, there were no takers, and so these unique  machines
were disassembled and sent back to Switzerland.

David Strang.