[Magdalen] What makes a good godparent?

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:45:20 UTC 2016

My own godparents were not much a factor in my religious education (they
became a Unitarian later in life) but they were very close to my family
always. I called them Aunt Rhea and Uncle Clarence and always referred to
their children as my cousins, even though we were not blood relatives.
Uncle Clarence and my dad met while studying at the Naval Academy in the
early years of WWII and became best friends, a lifelong relationship, and
fortunately his wife Rhea and my mom found they were equally congenial.
Their son, Clarence Jr. (Clary) is 5 months older than I am and we were
baptized together, with our parents standing sponsor for one another, in an
Episcopal ceremony in the Naval Academy chapel.