[Magdalen] Praying for our Olympians

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 22:47:30 UTC 2016

In the past we've established kind of a tradition, on various incarnations
of this list, of mentioning specific Olympians that we're praying for
because they may be special to us for one reason or another. With the games
starting this Friday, I thought it would be nice to begin that tradition
again. I'll start by mentioning mine, who happen to be mostly female, but
that's just one of those weird things.

Tamika Catchings, of the US women's basketball team, heads up my list. Not
just because we're both Lady Vols for life, but because she epitomizes
everything I think a female athlete should be. She's just a complete
example to girls and young women of how to do it and what to be. Tamika is
in the twilight of her career now; she'll retire from the game at the end
of the WNBA season this year, but she will remain in the game, not as a
coach but most likely somewhere in the front office.

Kelsey Card, female discus thrower, from the University of
Wisconsin-Madison. Big, tough, and has a great can-do attitude.

Ibtihaj Muhammad, US women's fencing. Class, grace, and ability, all
wrapped up in one package. I love her attitude, and she hasn't let
prejudice stop her.

And...ALL of Team Refugee. I think there are 7 of them, all refugees from
their countries for one reason or another, all stateless, who will be
marching under the Olympic flag. Probably no potential medalists among
them, but what heart they all have! This, folks, is what the Olympics is
all about.

Let's hear about yours.