[Magdalen] Dem convention

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Thu Aug 4 04:54:47 UTC 2016

On 7/29/16 9:16 AM, Marion Thompson wrote:
> Timing is everything in life.  A friend from my school days arrived on
> Wednesday and I will hand her over to her relatives at lunchtime today.
> She got off the GO train talking and has talked non-stop ever since.  I
> nearly went mad because, although I had the TV on, she talked through
> all the speeches!

Oh, I miss my aunts! That was a family trait on the female line of my
mother's family.  There were six boys and five girls born to my
grandmother.  Some of the boys had died before I was born, and I don't
remember those whom I remember at all as saying much of anything (they
were all older-- with one exception, my grandmother had all her boys
first and then started with girls), but it was a regular occurrence when
I was a child, of the five of them sitting around one of the kitchen
tables, and all talking, continuously.  My Dad marveled at those
conversations, because when they broke up the session, everyone knew
what everyone else had said.  I must have inherited from my father's
family, because I could never manage it.  One of them was the
acknowledged champion talker, though: she even talked in her sleep!  Her
husband had come out of WWII as deaf as a post from the guns on his
ship, and he would frequently turn off his hearing aid for some peace:
she knew that he wasn't hearing, but even when the two were alone, she
just kept on talking.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net