[Magdalen] Election Day

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 12:35:58 UTC 2016

I often see that in videos of voting in other countries and wonder
whether Chicago would be as famous for "vote early and often" if we
had inked each voter here.

We've just got the electronic poll books in which one's record is
marked when one presents oneself at the polls. And one signs a small
document affirming that one's information is correct and that one
isn't misrepresenting oneself. Sometimes all I'm asked for is my name
and then a nod when the poll-worker asks whether I still live on
Glenwood Avenue. What's to prevent someone else from coming in before
I do and claiming to be me, maybe after voting similarly in another
precinct?

But requiring the showing of an ID gets into potential discriminatory
practices, as obtaining an ID generally involves a cost not all can
afford. But I think some states do require a piece of identification.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA