[Magdalen] Trump to back out?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 20:03:48 UTC 2016

I am really pretty sure RMN did have a personality disorder.  We talked
about how, for many politicians, a normal personality might hold them
back.  I have never been dissuaded of that view, although I have very warm
memories of Ham Fish junior, who came to visit the psychiatric center I
worked at, and took a moment to talk with me. This was one of the more
powerful people in the nation and he visited a psychiatric center because
the citizens there were in his district. He didn't have to do that, and of
course I don't know why. Maybe he did it because he felt he ought to.

We have had some good and decent people in government. Indeed, it's because
of them that the place keeps working.

I noticed that our representative, a retired Army Col., was being
considered for governor, and he announced that he is not seeking
reelection. He is taking an offer to teach. I of course have no idea what
his thinking is, but there's no question that for him right now, the only
direction for him, if he stayed in politics, was up. He said he wanted to
spend more time with his family. I think he is a decent man who just
couldn't pretend he respects the Republican Party one more session. I think
he would have made good contributions, even if his views are somewhat
conservative (Ham Fish was also a conservative -- a conservative with
living brain cells. They used to be the ones running the GOP)

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford