[Magdalen] He may really not be right in the head.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 05:41:44 UTC 2016

There is no actual demarcation between sane and insane.  People can be very
maladjusted and yet sane. I've known a number of people who qualified for
institutionalization who were not really obnoxious or even unpleasant. In
these cases, they were more a danger to themselves than to others.

A person can have a personality disorder or character disorder, and such
can make them unable to function normally, and yet they would be considered
sane.  A person with a paranoid personality might do well as a politician
even though he was hypervigilant of conspiracies to "get" him, and when
exposed, he could become incoherent as he left office, insisting only
others had done wrong, not him.

In the present case, he learned that he got his way by charming and then
getting loud and demanding, turning all the guilt onto the other.  To him,
when he made deals and then refused to pay and would litigate his way out
of difficulties, instead of seeing himself as a bully and unprincipled
jerk, he sees himself as a good shrewd businessman.

When others talk about sacrifices, he fires back that he's made lots of
sacrifices too -- and he actually has! Every time he was not able to get
everything he wanted, it was a terrible sacrifice for him, but he kept on
anyway. The guy is a poster child for "entitlement." Fair is not a
meaningful concept for him, because if he were to play fair, that's just
nuts! The other person might sometimes be able to prevail! Where is the
percentage in that?

We all do this, by the way, like the man who thinks he takes a decent part
of the work around the house if he does a few tasks regularly.   There are
probably a lot of folks who, for no particular reason, simply are annoying
to others, who just might feel the same way about them (or not). Every so
often one experiences a surprising situation in which they discover
something about a friend which totally varies from their expectations ("I
thought I knew him/her!").

I suspect that Trump annoys a lot of folks because he reminds us of
something in ourselves, only perhaps a little more so.  I recently ran into
a thought which I have seen in several places, with many attributions. I
have generally not been satisfied with the many versions I've seen.

"Strive to be gentle with each person you meet. Always try to remember that
everyone is fighting some sort of battle which you know nothing about."

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford