[Magdalen] Rent.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Aug 5 18:51:34 UTC 2016

In a message dated 8/5/2016 1:20:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

My  Michigan Cape Cod-style home was carpeted that way after WW2 (and
some of  the carpeting seemed to date from that era, although it
couldn't really  have been THAT old),  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My mother earned a steady small income on extra bedrooms in
our Wisconsin home from renting these rooms to teachers.  She  also
provided them with a cooked breakfast five mornings a week.

She thriftily banked these monies for years until she got what
she wanted:  a major remodeling of our home.  At that time,  the
grey, wool Brown & Bigelow "Serenade" pattern carpet was laid  over
most of the floors.  That was 1949.  The carpeting still looked
good when I sold the house in 1998.

The remodeling required the use of a steel beam to support
upstairs bedrooms, and at the time, domestic use of steel
supports was unusual.  It was the first such for our very
seasoned carpenter.  Now, of course, this is commonly done.

There was also the ubiquitous "picture window" in the front
of the livingroom with the "Thermopane" glass, considered
the hallmark of modernity.

Looking back it is all just a bit comic.  Some of the styles
from today will be just as funny in a half century.

Anyone for bellbottoms?

David S.