[Magdalen] Rent.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 19:12:57 UTC 2016

The woman from whom I bought my Michigan house had outfitted the
kitchen with the highest tech of the time, including one of the
earliest home microwave ovens. Lots of steel (including some
countertops) and a TV built into a wall (neat idea back then, but
didn't work so well with the changing shapes of television sets in
later decades). She and her husband were both Michigan State
University scientists of some sort, and I think they aimed to make the
kitchen sort of a lab look but with a homey feel. She showed me photos
of the original decor (what a gift to be able to see this...and to
spend a little time with the previous owner as she grieved--I know she
was grieving through that stonefaced demeanor--the giving up of her
home for several decades).

Too bad it is STILL next to an awful shack that students rent. Loved
the students, but the "house" was really the old office of the
lumberyard that the neighborhood used to be. I attended a concert in
its basement (by the band who lived there at the time), and couldn't
believe people could live in that place, even as I felt thrilled to be
welcomed and accepted by these guys (I admit I found them attractive)
who invited me, the old guy next door, to hear them up close.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA