[Magdalen] I need some new music

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Wed Aug 17 21:41:40 UTC 2016

I've been acquiring vinyl LP's (probably far too many) of late. Just
listened to one by Koko Taylor (Chicago blues) and one by Duke Ellington.
Both excellent, although Koko Taylor is probably not what you're looking
for. OTOH, anything by Duke Ellington is likely better than 90% of what's
out there.

But - other recent acquisitions along the lines of what you posted:
The original Christmas Revels LP - there are a bunch of them, most available
on CD. All folky - some Olde English, one Appalachian, all excellent.
"All Shall Be Well Again" by Gordon Bok, Ann Mayo Muir & Ed Trickett. Title
song based on Julian of Norwich (but you knew that, right?). Hopefully
available on CD.
"Wayfaring Stranger", 10" LP by Burl Ives. His older stuff like this (early
50's) is much more authentically folky than his later output, and quite
good.
Pretty much anything by Dave Van Ronk (one of the original Greenwich Village
folkies) is highly recommended. My lastest one is "Songs for Ageing
Children"
Also, pretty much anything by Doc Watson.
If you're in to Gregorian Chant, Deutsche Gramophone has a 4-CD set of most
of what they've put out over the years, quite cheap.
I could go on but I probably should stop.
I might mention, however, that I've also acquired an LP of Leadbelly (Huddie
Ledbetter) in concert, on Playboy Records - a label I never knew even
existed. As one might expect from Playboy Records, there's a fold-out
picture of Leadbelly accompanying the record. Fortunately, he's not naked.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com