[Magdalen] An update or 2 (3...).

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 20 17:45:10 UTC 2016

Accrued time off:  The way Monterey County's "General Unit" of which I'm a part works is now rather simple.  It used to be roughly as you describe it, David, kind of a 2-1 ratio between vacation and sick, every two weeks, totalling in an average month (a month with only two paychecks) just under two days' worth.  Problem was two-fold:  as much as people like vacation, families need sick time more than they do vacation, and since you could use vacation for sick but not sick for vacation, there was consterantion all'round.  A few years ago, our union negotiated a shift in perspective, plus a little bit more time to boot.  Now it's just one pot, usable any way one chooses, as long as said uses are documented on relevant timecards, totalling approx 21 hours a month, which for common workers ain't nothin' to sneeze at.  The oddity that remains is what it's called:  "Annual Leave".  Nothing "annual" about it; you don't lose it, if you don't use it, by the end of the year, accruing up to 300+ hours or so before being capped until you use some and thereby start accruing again.  I'm sure it's just a feature of the new payroll system that doesn't have anything else it can call it.