[Magdalen] trivia

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 24 21:41:30 UTC 2016

I remember like it was yesterday my ENTIRE 4th grade year involving so many 4th grade things, but one of those I remember the most fondly is the memorizing of state capitols.  Grant you, (and many of you will like this), my 4th grade teacher was a Presbyterian minister (coincident with teaching? don't know) who ran his classroom like a one-room schoolhouse of olde, desks in rows, everything done as a group (maybe not totally one-room schoolhouse-style, I guess), but there was a time and a place for everything, and everyone played a part.  One of those things was the state capitols, and when that happened, he'd pull down the U.S. map on the front chalkboard, he'd sit at his desk and call out a state, and we'd all vie to get picked to go up and identify the state and its capitol.  We all had a personal favorite.  Mine was Montpelier, VT.  Don't know why.

And the year before that, the fixation with me and my classmates in 3rd grade was Milton Bradley's "Game of the States".  I still mean to get a vintage copy of that, just to play it with Everett.