[Magdalen] trivia

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Aug 25 16:28:16 UTC 2016

In a message dated 8/25/2016 10:55:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

We could  probably do a fine  duet!>>>>>>>>>>>

When I was doing so much singing, I had a fantasy of singing a duet
with my brother, George, an excellent tenor.  It was just a  fantasy,
of course, since George died at 50 in 1968 of a mesothelioma.

One of the duets that popped up in my mind was the one in
Mendelssohn's oratorio, "Saint Paul"/Paulus which precedes the
incredibly lovely "We lieblich sind de boten"/How lovely are the
Messengers (chorus):

The duet text:

So sind wir nun Botschafter an Christi Statt/"Now we are  ambassadors."

The chorus is in the top 25 anthems at the local Procathedral.

I'll never forget hearing the complete duet followed by chorus at
the medieval Frauenkirche at Oberwesel am Rhein, Germany.

David S.